Rss Feed
  1. Second Guessing Your Writing Ability?

    Wednesday 6 August 2014

    We've all been there. If you're a writer, there will come a time when you will trawl through the piles of words that you've written and think: "What is this rubbish? My writing sucks."
    I could tell you not to think like this, but that would be pointless. Because you're going to think like this anyway. I can tell you that everyone feels like that: Published authors, indie authors, Wattpad authors, hell I would guess that even J.K. Rowling has doubts over her writing, and she's one of the best writers out there. My point is if you're sitting in front of your computer screen (or notebook) and doubting your ability, then the chances are that you have talent . 
    I'll admit. I was 19 when I first started writing but I used to write little stories and magazine articles when I was younger. But I really only got into the writing bug when I was 19. I was craving more Harry Potter related stuff. And after a lot of hesitance I made a Fanfiction.Net account and started reading there. The longer I read, the more I wanted to write. And when I finally got an idea, I started to write and posted it to the site (Excuse the rhyme). I got a lot of feedback, most of it along the lines of: "Please write more!" or "This is the best fic ever!". I could have let all of this go to my head and not take any constructive criticism. But I realised suddenly, just how serious and important writing was to me. So I took the criticism and the flames and worked it to my writing ability until I felt confident to start my own original works with my own world.
    I still doubt my ability every day. Even when I've got a hundred people telling me I'm a good writer. I'm always seeking to improve, to be the best at what I do. But I quickly realised that this is impossible. You could be an amazing writer, but there's always going to be someone better. You shouldn't compare yourself to other writers, because this is your style. There's no need for big words and fancy prose. If you have awesome characters and decent sentence structure, then you're already halfway there.
    Remember, there is no such thing as a perfect writer. We each have our own quirks and idiosyncrasies that set us apart from other writers. Think you use a phrase or sentence too much? Don't worry, because a lot of it will get cut out during publication anyway. You should never let your doubts get in the way of doing what you love. Chances are, if you're reading this right now, if you sit there and write every day then you're a writer.
    And just remember. All stories, big or small. They all started with a good idea.

  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment